Thursday, August 15, 2013

The Abbey Gardens

One of the major tourist destinations in Bury St. Edmunds is the "Abbey Gardens" so Eric and I went on a little exploration the other day to check it out. I had heard about it for awhile and briefly took a look at the gardens on our first walk to town, but didn't really know what to expect other then the spectacular flower beds at the entrance.


 I had no idea it was full of ruins.  They are beautiful and strange I love the way the kids were climbing all over them and using them as their very own 12th century jungle gym.




 It was just another day in Bury St.Edmunds, playing hide and seek on the ancient ruins! 

Afterwards I did take a peek at Wickipedia  and found out that during the Abbey heyday (I forget which century it was, the 8th or the 12th, they all run together to me) there were 3 breweries on the grounds and each monk had the right to 8 pints of beer a day. 8 pints! That is a lot of beer! I can barely finish one pint, I can't imagine drinking 8 pints a day. No wonder the townspeople revolted and destroyed their gate, the monks were hogging all the beer. 


I plan to go on one of the free tours they give everyday at 2:00 to find out more and after that I'll definitely go and enjoy my 1 pint of beer per day.







2 comments:

  1. I think they drank so much beer because the water was polluted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, that totally makes sense but I can still imagine there were a lot of drunk monks running the place!

      Delete

we love comments!